Essie Fiji – Worth the Hype?

Essie Nail Polish (Fiji)Essie Nail Polish (Fiji)

Essie Nail Polish in Fiji, £7.99 Boots | Superdrug

I finally caved and got Essie Fiji after trying to avoid it like the plague. I tried to convince myself I didn’t need it and it wouldn’t suit me, but my will-power wasn’t strong enough to resist it, after seeing this nail varnish in so many beauty blogs.

Essie describes Fiji as ‘an opaque creamy pale pink‘. In much simpler words, I would describe it is a yogurt lookalike. Did it pass the boyfriend test? I don’t think so; my boyfriend said it looked like I had put Tipp-ex all over my nails. Not quite the answer I was expecting!

Formulation wise, it definitely requires 2 coats to get a full opaque finish. I like the bigger brush that newer Essie polishes have, but because I have narrow nails, it causes a bit of a mess. I don’t think this shade suits my skin tone, at least not on its own. I have it on my toes at the moment, and frankly, I’m starting to believe that my boyfriend said about Tipp-ex. What do you think?

Essie Nail Polish (Fiji)

Overall, I’m not certain if Essie Fiji is worth the hype. It’s not cheap and it left me a bit disappointed with the formulation. Also, the shade doesn’t compliment my skin tone, but that won’t be a problem if your skin is lighter than mine.

Have you tried Essie Fiji? What do you think? Am I the only crazy one who didn’t quite like it?

• Product: Essie Nail Polish in Fiji
  • Availability: Boots | Superdrug
  • Price: £7.99

Au revoir!

Ysis

23 Comments

1. beckysmakeup
    24 June 2012 / 1:32 pm

I too bought this because of blogger hype but it annoys me the amount of coats needed and I totally relate to your bf’s tippex comment. I am not sure this is a personal favourite Essie colour.

Becky
    beckys makeup

2. 24 June 2012 / 1:33 pm

Yeah, it was so disappointing. Not the most flattering of the Essie shades at all! Glad I’m not alone on that one :) x

3. cescafrancis_x
    24 June 2012 / 3:21 pm

It looks lovely on you in my opinion :) I have it too but I’m a lot paler and love it, I guess its down to skin tone!

the-little-divas.blogspot.co.uk

4. Jess
    24 June 2012 / 3:52 pm

I like the colour of this, it’s very clean and fresh looking but I don’t have the patience to build up the coverage with very pale polishes. However I think it is a gorgeous milky colour! x

5. 24 June 2012 / 3:58 pm

Thanks! I guess I’m just not used to that sort of very opaque and light colour. I’ll give another go. I may fall in love with it… :)

6. 24 June 2012 / 3:59 pm

I agree. I think it looks very neat, but having to build it up, sometimes is not the most practical thing. Especially because it’s so easy to smudge it after 2 or 3 layers! x

7. Celene Parsons
    24 June 2012 / 4:21 pm

i havent tried any essie polishes, im not sure if this colour would suit my skin tone either! xo

vintage–teapot.blogspot.ie

8. mariasparkle80
    24 June 2012 / 4:22 pm

Awww thats such a shame that Fiji isnt for you :( This is one of my all time favourite polishes ( I have the original brush bottle from the USA) and I wore it for my wedding.

9. 24 June 2012 / 4:38 pm

They are generally quite good quality, and up until now, all the ones I tried where suitable for my skin tone. I’m not so sure about Fiji :) x

10. 24 June 2012 / 4:40 pm

Thank you for reading :) I can definitely see Fiji being a hit amongst brides. It just looks polished and pretty, but I guess I’m just not used to having such an opaque finish and a very light pink (nearly white) colour on my nails! I bet your nails looked lovely on your wedding day :) xx

11. missy_ellie_uk
    24 June 2012 / 5:15 pm

Never realised there was a blogger hype around this one! I have Fiji and I really like it on me, but I’m quite pale so I can see how you didn’t like it on your skin tone. I do quite like the stark Tippex-y look of it though! (and most of my nail varnishes fail the ‘husband test’ anyway :) )

12. Ashton - LittleBeautyTreats
    24 June 2012 / 5:28 pm

I bought it the other week, not impressed either! definately not worth £7.99 thats a bit over the top for a nail varnish that Im not even satisfied with. I also see the tip-ex look when I have it on :(

13. vidhyaparashuram
    24 June 2012 / 6:03 pm

Medium skin tone + light opaque polishes = scary. Lesson learnt the hard way :(

XO
    thedailysequin

14. 24 June 2012 / 6:43 pm

Haha! Yeah, I just thought it was a bit contrast between the colour of the polish and my skin :)

15. 24 June 2012 / 6:43 pm

Definitely not a £7.99 polish. Despite it being pretty and all (on some people), it’s not worth the price or the hype! :)

16. 24 June 2012 / 6:44 pm

I agree! It looks too out of place, doesn’t it? x

17. Jennifer Lower
    25 June 2012 / 12:04 am

I can see what your boyfriend means by the tipex appearance, but it is quite cute. It’s a tough one, haha xx

jensbrightandbeautiful.blogspot.com

18. 25 June 2012 / 10:00 am

Haha! Yeah, it’s quite off putting when someone says you mani looks like tippex. What did I spend 30 minutes doing it for? lol xx

19. TattooedTeaLady
    25 June 2012 / 5:40 pm

I love the look of this but I genuinely think it’d look awful against my skin tone xo

20. Denise
    26 July 2012 / 10:55 am

Thats a very low budget comment to make! and her skintone is not dark! shes very light! and this color suits all skintones! Ive seen many dark skinned african americans rock this shade! so for you to say that is offensive

• tinhite
      14 February 2015 / 2:26 pm

i think the color does not suit the medium skin tone
      u have to be either pale or dark skin
      just like white dresses

21. vidhyaparashuram
    26 July 2012 / 4:12 pm

I said medium skin tone.. not dark and that’s pretty much how Ysis describes herself. Also she didn’t like the shade, I didn’t like the shade. Our opinion is that it doesn’t suit medium skin tone. We can agree to differ but there is no need to call me offensive.

22. Jen
    15 August 2012 / 6:30 am

I kind of like that “Tippex” (well it’s not called Tippex where I live but I know what you’re talking about, haha) look. And it’s weird, because I’m tan too and I don’t think pale colours like Fiji suit me but I read on another blog how they thought the colour would look better on them were tanner. Ahh difference of opinions :) Anyway, I’ve been looking for a good nudey/neutral/manicure shade that’s opaque. Any suggestions?